In this article I will outline some of the options available when choosing a Builder for your project.
Choosing the right builder is one of the most important decisions you will have to make, because the wrong Builder will make your life a nightmare, while the right Builder will be a pleasure to work with. How can I know which is the right Builder for my project?
Without a doubt the best company to build your home would be the one who designed it because:
• The designer would be familiar with all the issues and requirements discussed with the Owner.
• The designer would also be familiar with construction issues which were encountered during the process of preparing the plans.
• The designer would already have built a working relationship with the Owner during the design and plan preparation process.
• A good working relationship is the key to having a smooth construction process.
If your designer is not a builder then this is not an option, and you need to find the best Builder for you and your project. I always recommend asking yourself: What qualities are you looking for in the Builder you want to work with?
• Is quality workmanship the highest priority?
• Am I looking for honesty and integrity?
• Can I communicate well with this Builder?
• Do they listen to my concerns? Treat me with respect?
• Are they reliable? Did they turn up for our meetings on time?
Other considerations would include:
• Does this Builder want to work with me?
• Are they experienced in my type of project? Have they built something similar?
• Do they have good references?
• Are they available?
• How many projects are they currently working on?
• What are their trades like?
Notwithstanding the above, don’t be afraid to trust your instincts. “Gut feel” is important in any decision making process. Your “gut feel” is usually a warning device to be aware of who to avoid choosing. Gut feel is used to eliminate prospective Builders from your list of options.
Choosing the right Builder for your project will make your building experience a dream one. The wrong Builder will make it a nightmare. So, choose carefully.
– Roman Pazniewski